What Level of Treatment do I need for a DUI?

Getting charged with a DUI is an incredibly stressful experience.  Not only are you facing fines, probation and possible jail time, but your driver’s license will likely be suspended by the Department of Revenue.

Getting enrolled in alcohol treatment is not only proactive, but will likely be required once you are placed on probation.  It will also be required in order to reinstate your driver’s license with the DMV.

For drivers over the age of 21, the level of treatment that you are required to take is dependent on your blood or breath alcohol content (BAC) and the number of prior convictions you have.  Level I treatment can be ordered by the treatment provider when they deem the facts of your case as not serious enough to warrant Level II treatment.

Level II treatment is required any time:

  • you have two alcohol related driving offenses within 5 years
  • three alcohol related driving offenses in your lifetime
  • a BAC of .17 or more
  • multiple revocations of your driving privilege for BAC tests of .08 or more.

Level II treatment is divided into different tracks of therapy, based on your BAC and the number of priors you have.  An alcohol evaluation through the probation department will most often be the determining factor for what level and track of treatment the court will order, but a general guideline is below.


 Minimum BACPriorsLength of TreatmentLength of Level 2 education
Track A.120 – .169None42 hours24 hours
Track B.170 or overNone52 hours24 hours
Track CUnder .1701 or more68 hours24 hours
Track D.170 or over1 or more86 hours24 hours

For a list of accredited treatment providers in the state, visit www.cdhs.state.co.us/adad/duiservices.htm.

For more information on DUIs and your options, please visit our DUI page.

Let the experienced DUI attorneys at Dahl, Fischer & Wilks help you navigate the complex world of not only your criminal case, but also the consequences to your driver’s license.  Call us today for a free consultation.